Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reflections on the upcoming move

It has been snowing steadily today, and I want to curl in the corner of the couch with a warm blanket on my lap and a good book in hand. If I am perfectly honest though, that desire is almost constant, weather notwithstanding. We have been packing in preparation for the upcoming move. Boxes in various stages of being packed (or unpacked by my "helpers") lie in corners and under tables--a visual reminder of change. I can hear Diana and A.J. playing house in the next room. They just "bought" a new carseat for their baby. The children amaze me with their innovations. Most of the toys are packed now, only a few of the favorites remain. And yet the children play, never seeming to miss the vanished playthings. They play with blankets, pillows, and imagination fills in the gaps. Are they deprived now, or were they before we packed the overflowing closets and playbins? How much is enough and how much is just too much? I am glad to have this time, to see my children thriving without the comfort of familiar objects surrounding them. When we do unpack in the new home, that will also be good. I don't intend to give away all of our earthly goods and take a vow of poverty (some might argue we did that when we decided to have a large family), but I do hope that I will retain the memory of this time. We have food, shelter, our faith and each other--and that is enough. May this sufficiency fill us to overflowing with gratitude and remain in our hearts long after the last box is unpacked and the last toy reshelved (however briefly).

No comments: